Habitat for Humanity makes local resident's dream come true | News
HATTIESBURG, MS (WDAM)- Approximately six months ago, the Pine Belt Area Quarterback Club was lending a hand, helping Habitat for Humanity build a home in Petal.
On Sunday, thanks to many volunteers in the community and several hours of hard work, the Wilbert family finally have their own home.
"I am very excited today," said new homeowner Valeria Wilbert. "This has been a blessing for me and my family, and it is a dream come true. This is something I've been working on for years."
Along with Valeria, Hattiesburg Area Habitat for Humanity is also excited for their accomplishment.
"This is our very first house in the city of Petal," said Hattiesburg Area Habitat for Humanity Resource Development Manager Lee Anne Venable. "Our service area is Forrest and Lamar county, and so this is actually our 59th house overall."
Not only is Valeria a homeowner now, she also helped build her own home.
"They typically volunteer on homes of several other families long before we start building their house," said Venable. "Valeria helped with this house, and so you help with several houses before you even get to your own."
For now, Valeria along with her three daughters look forward to a better and brighter future in their new home.
Copyright 2012 WDAM. All rights reserved.
Upcoming Events near Petal
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Suspect charged after string of burglaries at Hattiesburg High School
- Salvation Army collects for Christmas Angels
- Sumrall woman delivers afghan blankets to Collins veterans
- C Spire launches next phase of its fiber to the home initiative: Homeowner Pre-Registration for 100 times faster internet
- Mississippi Supreme Court ruling stands in soccer cases against USM