Local artist donates collection to Hattiesburg Library | News
FORREST COUNTY, MS (WDAM)- A Hub City artist honors a hero with local ties.
Local artist Clint Martin donated his collection called "Against All Odds" to the Library of Hattiesburg,Petal, Forrest County. The paintings are in recognition of Jesse L. Brown, the first African American Naval Aviator to die in combat.
Director of the library Pamela Pridgen, says the donation is a great way to support local talent, and honor Brown.
"We were delighted to have the opportunity to acknowledge his contribution to our history, and his service to our nation," said Pridgen.
"He was an inspiration to me to actually, at least come to the home town, and just to be around family members that knew him. I am happy I was able to produce a piece of art that will permanently be here in this library in his honor," said Martin.
Martin also designed the commemorative state license plate which honors the Tuskegee Airmen.
Copyright 2012 WDAM. All rights reserved.
Upcoming Events near Petal
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Hattiesburg Police Department hope for low crime rates as 2013 comes to a close
- Seminary Beta students go caroling at Hattiesburg hospitals
- HHS burglaries prompt school officials to replace security cameras
- Hattiesburg garbage truck fire extinguished on Highway 98
- Midday Guests: Wendy and Houston Rhodes with the Seth Harris Childhood Cancer Foundation